As a child Nancy King performed for her elementary school, wrote and directed her first play at the age of ten, and almost 65 years later, she hasn’t slowed down. Following a long career as a professor at the University of Delaware, Ms.
Washington, DC Geriatric Education Center Consortium & NCCA Best Practice Forum
The Forum, Best Practices for Integrating Humanities and the Arts in Healthcare of the Older Adult, was developed as a special project of the Washington DC Area Geriatric Education Center Consortium (WAGECC) and the National Center for Creative Aging (NCCA) to showcase best practices in health care in the region.
Best practices frequently arise out of quality improvement initiatives and/or the desire to improve care. For the purposes of this Compendium, we used the definition of a "best practice" as defined by The Hartford Center for Geriatric Nursing Initiatives:
"best practice" is the use of care concepts, interventions and techniques that are grounded in research and known to promote higher quality of care and living for older people.
Best Practices were submitted by members of WAGECC and NCCA, as well as other individuals and organizations in the Washington, DC area. Best Practices came from many different healthcare teams in all types of settings, including home, community-based settings, long-term care, acute care, and hospice. In addition, the Best Practices in this Compendium facilitate the provision of more person-centered care that is holistic and recognizes the creative potential of older adults from many diverse cultural groups.
In this Compendium, you will find information on:
- Arts for the Aging, Inc. (AFTA)
- Lori Brady-Neuman, Certified Music Practitioner
- Broadmead Continuing Care Retirement Community
- Capital Caring Hospice In-patient Center
- ClancyWorks Dance Group at Springvale Terrace Retirement Community
- Elizabeth M. Doherty, MA, Art Therapist
- Encore Creativity for Older Adults
- Goodwin House Alexandria
- Iona Adult Day Health, Wellness, and Arts Center
- Lisner-Louise-Dickson-Hurt Home
- TIMESLIPS: Creative Group Storytelling Project
Access the Compendium Online.